Have you ever wondered what’s really inside any of your favorite feminine hygiene products or how are they affecting your body??? If you haven’t, then these are some questions that you should be asking yourself the next time that you decide to go out and make your next purchase. Traditionally, we’ve always listened to the recommendations provided by our mothers when it came time to purchase feminine hygiene products. But with so many products out on the market, it can be a little hard to narrow down your selection. Brands such as Summer’s Eve, Playtex, Tampax, and Kotex all promise to help make your period more manageable, but at what cost?
If ya’ll are anything like me, it probably took a while for you to start questioning your beloved products. After all they can’t be that bad if your mom used them years ago and they’re still being advertised on countless televisions and radios across the world. Not to mention that they are also being stocked in supermarkets, gas stations, and your neighborhood corner stores everywhere. There can’t possibly be any harmful side effects right???? But what about the little insert that warns you on the effects of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS for short)??? Many of you may be thinking, “It can’t be that bad because you never hear of anyone getting sick or dying from it.”
Well Dolls, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here is the ugly truth. Living in a world where being active and healthy is not only recommended, but is considered, and well, expensive at times. We often tend to overlook vital factors that are at times considered unsafe and unhealthy and or feminine products happen to be at the top of the list of things that we use that could potentially be deadly for us. It is our responsibility to make sure that the products that we choose are safe enough for our use. Read on to learn what’s inside many of your beloved products and more on safer alternatives to them.
1. What’s really inside of your feminine products?
- So we all know that pads and tampons are made of cotton, but besides being made of cotton, they also contain pesticides and herbicides that can be harmful when they reach your bloodstream.
- Herbicides and pesticides are linked to thyroid malfunction, infertility and other health problems.
- Both have been bleached with a chemical called dioxin, which is an environmental pollutant which gives them that “pure” white look. With just a short-term exposure to dioxin, skin will begin darkening and your liver function will be altered. Once the dioxin has been allowed to accumulate in the body over time, it can cause serious health risks and diseases such as immune system damage, diabetes, hormone dysfunction, pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian cancer and others.
- The use of products containing these harmful substances have been linked to infertility and birth defects in newborn babies
- Both pads and tampons are prone to bacterial growth and other infections. The prolonged use of sanitary pads in a day means an overgrowth of staphylococcus aureus bacteria in your vagina /Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS for short).
- Also when using tampons, there may be some issues with exposure to plastics. Some applicators are made entirely from plastics, and phthalates, which give paper tampon applicators a smooth finish. These are known to disregulate gene expression, and could lead to multiple organ damage. Certain chemicals like BPA’s, which can be found in plastics, are known to be disruptors. Which is why there was such a push for them to be banned from plastic bottles and food cans.
- When using tampons, there is also a risk of product contamination. It isn’t uncommon to come across contaminated tampons. There have even been instances when some were reported to contain mold. Can you imagine something like that going inside of your body????
- There has been a case or two of mold being found in tampons, and recently 1400 cases of Kotex tampons were recalled after it was found they were “manufactured with a raw material contaminated with a bacterium, Enterobacter sakazakii, which may cause health risks, including vaginal infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), pelvic inflammatory disease or infections that can be life-threatening,” according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
There’s a Better Option
Just because you just found out that your favorite pads and tampons that you’ve been using are actually quite harmful to you, doesn’t mean that it’s the end of the world. There is still hope dolls. There’s a ton of other products out there that are all natural, contain no harmful chemicals, and are made from 100 percent cotton. This means that you can kiss those toxic days goodbye!!!
- Organic Pad/Tampons – My favorite brand to use is by a company called L. I discovered this brand by accident at my local Target and I must say, I am very impressed. These are like nothing the pads that I’ve used in the past. They do not irritate my skin or cause me to have that uncomfortable feeling throughout the day. I’m really in love with them. I liked them so much that I went on and purchased their tampons too. I was pleased with them as well. This company also has an outstanding mission, which provides a girl in need with a pad for every pad purchased. To find out more or to purchase your own click here.
More Natural Brands to try:
- Kali Boxes ($25 monthly subscription box full of organic goodies for your period)
- Seventh Generation
- The Honest Company – Organic Cotton Pads with Wings Super
- For those of you who are a little more daring here’s the Diva Cup
Reminder**** Though it was not discussed, it is important to not use any highly fragranced products on or near your vagina. Ladies I cannot stress how important this is. The vagina is a self cleaning organ, so there is no need for you to use harsh soaps and douches down there. You should NOT douche at all. The use of these products will result in the natural pH of your vagina being disrupted, which could lead to a list of problems. It is best to cleanse your sensitive lady parts using plain lukewarm water, or if you want to get that extra fresh and clean feeling, opt for a NATURAL cleanser that has been formulated just for your vagina. Be careful because some of the products can be a little tricky, so I’ll help you out. I know that Summer’s Eve claims to be the perfect wash that is made for our lady parts, but the truth is that it’s actually doing you more harm than good. This product contains fragrances which irritate the vulva because. This causes the mucus membranes to dry out, thus killing healthy bacteria and leads to infection and discomfort. A few great brands that I love and trust are:
Thank you for your time dolls and I hope that you could find this information to be useful. Please feel free to comment or let me know what you think! Smooches !!!